Total Pageviews

2012-03-20

Dada's relaxing daytime during child naps threatened

If one kid's not taking it out of you, the other kid's taking her place.

I used to think BB was demanding. But the older she gets, the less I'm required to do to make sure she's happy. Lately she's been a real peach, and the cutest little big baby I've ever seen. A real good-mood girl. She's quick to smile and make the baby babble.

She's even anticipating things that I'll need to do for her. When it's time to get wiped up in the high chair, she now extends her hand before I have to grab it. When it's time to get dressed, she prepares for me to pull the shirt over her head by tensing her neck and looking down, and moves her own arms up into the shirt to put them thru the sleeves.

Her mood's been lightening up, which coincided directly with her increased ability to explore.

Her body is lengthening, getting longer and less baby-shaped. I can see the young woman that's gonna come out of her, eventually. It's trippy, man.

This very day, Megan and I were both sure that she had visibly grown during either her sleep last night, or her nap during the day today. Her face looked leaner and older. Like there was a shining new person slowly coming out of that babyness.

She's flipping beautiful, I don't know what else to say.

But Lucy, who is freshly 3, is turning into a real turd. A sassafrass. Can she ever create drama whence there was nothing--NOTHING!--happening.

She's sleeping less, too. If she takes a nap during the day, she's typically up for a good while at night, crawling into bed with us and walking around and being weird. If she doesn't have a daytime nap, she'll actually sleep thru the night. And of course she never wants to take a nap, and of course she won't fall asleep unless I wait till like fucking 2 p.m. to put her down, which always gets her sleeping until 4:30 or 5 unless we wake her up.

This all leads me, begrudgingly, to one conclusion:

Daytime naps are fucking over. Did it have to be so soon?

(I'll gladly take arguments for me keeping Lucy on a daily nap schedule, if you've got them. How long do kids need to nap? Till 5 years? 4? I realize every kid is different)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage comments from any and all readers. Please lay your thoughts on me.