Total Pageviews

2012-07-08

Switching Imminent

Well, I don't know if my landlord reads my blog, or if things just came together coincidentally, but we're slated to move two weeks from Wednesday (the 11th).

The day after I wrote that last blog entry, Megan and I got an email from our homeowner man downstairs. It said that work on the floors downstairs begins Wednesday, will take a week, and after that, the place must air out for another week.

Not bad, right? It's coming--we get a bigger place! Oh man, it means packing and all that headache, but we're gonna hire movers, and it'll only be within the same house. Not bad, I gotta say.

When Megan, Lucy and I moved in, our landlord was inhabiting the larger downstairs apartment. You've all seen pictures of my place. It's the upstairs of the house, a 2-bedroom, approximately 700-square-foot, brightly colored affair. Not small exactly, but with four people in here, space is at a premium.

Our landlord mentioned switching apartments a long time ago. It seemed logical to put the family of four in the bigger apartment than the bachelor.

He knew, though, that his century-old house would need a lot of tender, loving care before the switch could rightly occur.

Somewhere around one and a half years ago, he had a plumbing crew come in and re-do most of the house's plumbing. It began with our bathroom, then progressed to the whole downstairs. I mean, they knocked down walls down there. We had a couple small holes in our bathroom, but the work done up here was minor in comparison to the gutting that took place below us.

Our landlord knew that had to be done, in order to get the walls re-painted, in order to then re-finish the wood floors.

Kav has been putting a lot of work in down there. In the past month or more, he's had to move all his shit around, much into the garage and basement, and basically vacate his place in the meantime. It's gotta suck.

I'm sure he'll be glad when all this shit is done with. However, he's definitely gonna have to repair the rotting under the floor around the toilet up here, though, and the stairs outside aren't going to hold up forever. And the JUNK downstairs! The previous owner left a buttload of fuck down there. Just a bunch of fukkin doors, cabinets, pieces of wood, and rolled up nasty moldy rugs.

I KNOW I'm going to enjoy that double-basin sink down there, as well as the large dining room, which is separate from the larger kitchen and living rooms. And the ceiling fan in the bathroom and the ventilation fan in the kitchen. And the cupboards.

Moving will be a little hard on Lucy, I foresee. I think BB will be ok with it, but it's gonna be weird getting them used to the idea that, though we still live in the same house, we don't go into the same place anymore. We just go in the downstairs door now.

Kinda creepy, in a way.

I'm sure the increased size will grow on her, though. Imagine the toy-strewing-about possibilities.

4 comments:

  1. yay for switching apartments :) We swapped houses w/ another tenant from the same landlord back in March in prep for Amelie's arrival. It sure is convenient to knoack out all that searching/lease breaking BS. Glad they've done lots of repairs for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, probably will be the shortest move ever! And we know we'll be moving into a nice, fixed up place, for sure. Our rent is going up by a third, most likely, but we can afford it.

      Delete
  2. Good for you guys! I'm sure you will all enjoy the extra space - hope the downstairs has as much charm as the upstairs. Even though it is small I really liked your place.

    My AC went out last Monday - turns out the AC unit is fine but I need a whole new furnace. The fan on the furnace (that brings the cool air inside) is shot as is the coil (not exactly sure what that does but know I gotta have one). Last week was truly miserable - in the 100s each day (104 one day with heat index of 109!) I bought some extra fans but mostly just sat around and sweat. Animals also hot and miserable. Heat finally broke so this week still hot in here but not quite so bad. Should have new furnace by the end of this week. Also having to replace my roof. 1/4 done, 1/4 will be done soon - then I start saving all my pennies for the other half...not to mention all the medical bills. This hasn't been a great year for me but I guess I'm still glad to be here to experience it.

    Love you all,
    Aunt Coll

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeez, house repairs. Sounds wonderful. Wonderfully expensive. At least you didn't have it swept up in that hurricane.

      Delete

I encourage comments from any and all readers. Please lay your thoughts on me.