Total Pageviews

2014-09-25

Little Wonders of Mindfulness

This started out as a Facebook post. I just banged it out, and it was too good not to put on here, and also too long for most of my #Facebookfriends' attention spans (rib rib, jab jab, ha ha).

You guys, I feel like I had such a crazy past couple months, what with my older daughter entering school and all that entails, but now I think I can finally, truly, breathe, breathe in the air, don't be afraid to care.



Life, though different, seems to be returning to a more familiar place. This is all in my head, of course, but I feel I have a renewed mentality today, and it really helps me access my happy place, ya know? I feel good today.

Got a bulletin from the school recently, containing some tips on how to help your child transition into the new routine after a few weeks, when it starts to sink in that summer is really over. Cuddle more, that was a good one. Don't rush them into feeling better when they're anxious, but be a good listener and empathize with them, make them feel heard. That was tip #1, a classic.

My personal favorite was this one tucked way at the bottom of the list, almost as an afterthought, about mindfulness. The example given was when a dad and daughter were sitting in their house on a windy day, with the windows open, and a leaf blows in. Then they watch it, talk about it, take it in, describe details, feel the flow of life in a way, and reach relaxation—thereby practicing mindfulness.

Teaching a kid to access relaxation in times of anxiousness is apparently really helpful, and does it not make sense? I thought that analogy was really beautiful. We're all leaves floating in the wind. We all need help sometimes.

So that was all good advice. It was a part of the bulletin called Counselor's Corner, written by the school counselor. Quite knowledgable, she is.

In other news, that PR job I mentioned in my last post fizzled out. After two hours she cut me loose, and it was a little depressing. Megan goes, "I mean, I was disappointed about it. I can't imagine how you must have felt." She was right, she can read me like a book. It's so good to have her around.



The sunny side of it is that I have real PR experience. Sort of like an infinitesimally small internship.

Onward and upward, my friends! One would be a fool to think I didn't have many more irons in the fire. The thing that leaving depression behind opens me up toward is a renewed interest in maintaining relationships with other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage comments from any and all readers. Please lay your thoughts on me.