Total Pageviews

2010-09-18

Family trip in the rain turns fun

Mom and dad protest technology by walking

So it's pissing rain in Seattle, and what do we decide to do? Walk to Green Lake to get to Spud so we can eat the fish and the chips. Then on to Basking Robbins for a corporate ice cream fun experience before heading home.

Lucy took her first bites of waffle cone there! There was Cherry ChumChum Chunk ice cream in there. Thanks Basking Robbins. She had to stick her fingers in it first to see just what was going on in there, and then she dove right in! It's good to let her come to terms with new foods and other things on her own, at her own pace, cause then she's all about it!

Oh, and at Spud she had her first fried fish. She liked the fish, and not the crispy fried batter. And of course she liked the fries. O Fries! You wonderful invention! Sweet tates....

I guess the rain wasn't so bad until we were on the tail end of our journey. Mama and Dada got pretty wet, but Lucy stayed mostly dry in her stroller with hat on. But Seattle has been raining really hard last night and tonight, which actually I kinda like. We haven't had rain that hard in quite a while. Maybe it's the pretense to the upcoming winter.

Lucy has been staying up later this past week. She's able to stay awake for longer stretches between naps and nights. Sometimes it means shorter naps, other times it just means she sleeps later. It might be because she's done with growth spurts for the moment, and doesn't need to fuel her body with so much sleep and food.

Her half birthday is Sept. 11. She turned 18 months old that day. One and one half years. Where has the time gone? I look at bigger kids and think Lucy will be cooler than them. But who knows? Megan and I are some eccentric Luddites. The reality I have to face is that I will, most likely, pass a fair share of those down to my Lucybeans.

She will always be my special little girl, until she's my special lady, and even when she's my special middle aged lady. And I'm bending the rules of the definition of a special lady here--no romance involved this time. Just the connection between a guy who loves his daughter, and the daughter Herself.

And I love my partner more because of all this. Things are sort of cyclical like that. Hell, I love myself more for it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage comments from any and all readers. Please lay your thoughts on me.