Total Pageviews

2010-09-02

The melodramatic in music

Whatever the style, it can be good or bad. There's good and bad everything--from country to rap to rock to metal to blues and to all the spinoffs of those genres. Melodrama ruins every one.

It's repulsive, right? You know what I'm talking about. Melodrama has its natural place in soap opera and pop music--leave it out of our underground musics you traitors!

Okay, I admit I'm acting the hypocrite here cause ppl can make whatever kinda music they goddam well wish and blah blah blah...e t c . . . .

But new metal sucks! Since when did metal get corny? I mean, mainstream pop music is the worst, but that's to be expected. Lately, melodrama seems to have seeped into the veins of what the cool people used to do. It just goes to show--any cool new thing catches on, something that the cool folks are into, it eventually becomes a contemporary, compromised version of itself, and the cool folks have to pony up and abandon it and move onto the next new, cool thing, all the while, hearing in the background, the forced, egocentric drone  version of the beauty they once made.

And lately I'm pissed at Dexter for continuing to be so overly melodramtic well into its fourth season! It's a show about a serial killer for christ sakes. WHO WRITES THIS GARBAGE?!!! It's like my partner says--the Dexter scenes are good, and all the rest of the characters' scenes are terrible and annoying and awful. Deb is the weakest link in that show.

Anyway!

I will now attempt to make you a believer. Of what? That melodramatic music is annoying. Here, just watch one minute of this band's song.

It starts when you're young, doesn't it? Sigh...

This video also reveals what is wrong with live dramatic metal-punk-indie-bastardization-spinoff (screamo, hardcore, teenage boy demographic) music -- it sounds like shit. The drums are too loud, that or the guitars are too quiet, the vocalist sounds like shit because he's screaming as hard as he possibly can, and all the band performs with reckless abandon. Sloppy.

Take this popular melodramatic metal band for example.

Annoying, right? They're well-produced, and the music is executed perfectly, but it's still melodramatic. The major-minor dual guitar melodies and the screamer screaming...

I've never liked this type of music. Give me Megadeth or Metallica or Sepultura or Pantera (even with that racist fuck singer Phil) and I'm a happy boy. As I Lay Dying has good musicians, but the rhythms are predictable and unoriginal. The vocalist is really.... just, really into it. And that annoys me more than it pumps me up. It's easy metal. Low fruit.

Sadly, it has long ago seeped into country, as well.

Actually, this video gets kind of funny. But it does remind me a lot of what Dexter is doing, with the whole twins thing--the women throw themselves at the men. It's unrealistic and helps keep women looking dependent. But he does get his ass kicked and then the medical worker whose ass he grabs knocks him out. That's funny. Hell of a budget with this one. Got fucking REPUBLICAN splattered all over it. now I have a bad taste in my mouth.

Eh maintenant, pour le coup de grĂ¢ce, try and take this young lady at her word:


I rest my case. Melodrama is annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage comments from any and all readers. Please lay your thoughts on me.