Total Pageviews

2013-04-18

Time Hole


Megan's Birthday and a Day at School:
A Blockbusting Allegory

Sometimes I think I should change the above banner to, “I like to write about myself,” possibly adding, “which vicariously involves my kids.”

Man, I was going to write about school, but I just spent the last 10 minutes lost in daydreaming about how big a dumbass I was as a young 20-year-old. Maybe I’m ADD. Maybe it’s because my kids are watching cartoons in the same room. Most likely, I’m mentally disordered and discombobulated.

No. I know why. It’s because I was remembering Megan and I’s anniversary. It will be ten years this May. Kind of a big deal. And I was a young 20-something then. She really helped me calm down as a young man, and to this day--yesterday in fact--and she doesn’t know this because I didn’t tell her cause it’s all just my fucked up thought processes that she kind of reads ESP*-style anyway, I was getting stressed and angry because Lucy and her were having an argument, and I had to go to school, and I hadn’t smoked weed all day cause I was out. I had a headache.

I was convinced that I was acting like a dick as I got ready to leave for class, but I think it was mostly in my own mind. Cause when I went to say goodbye to Megan and Lucy (BB was napping), Megan was totally fine with me and kinda looked at me funny like, ‘Why do you have that look on your face?” I kissed her goodbye and it turned into a few prolonged, deep kisses. It made me relax and breathe deeply. I calmed right down.

To this day Megan helps me calm down when I really need to. She’s really good for me. Plus she’s hot.

Her birthday is April 28. Wish her a good one, will ya? She likes diamonds and pearls and you watching our kids for a night.
ONWARD
   to talking about a day at school I had, for no particular reason.

It was weirdly officially summer, people were out en masse, it was weird, and it felt good.

Arriving on campus, I walked thru Red Square and onto the open walkway lined on either side with cherry blossoms. When they bloom they’re all pink and fluffy.

Students flock there. They sit individually and in groups, while others lay back and pretend to be there just to soak up the sun, not just to be seen. Parents take children thru there. People get their senior pictures and wedding photos taken there. Dumbass 20-something males throw Frisbees thru the crowd, the ease with which they could easily hit someone not enough of a deterrent to find a new location—after all, who wants to throw a Frisbee and NOT be the center of attention? And two big, tall black dudes were doing this hip-hop performance art—really loud, synchronized chanting and rapping. I caught the tail end of whatever it was, which I couldn’t see thru the crowd, which was particularly thick.

There’s a guy standing there, drinking a coffee. White cap, coat and backpack, brown skin. Looking pretty sharp. Different style than the mostly whitebread kids on campus. “Do you know where the HUB is?” Something about my coolness must have caught his eye cause he chose me to talk to.

The guy and I walked for a minute together. I forget what we talked about, but I do remember it was awkward. I pointed him toward the HUB, and kept walking.

I went to class.

Then, when I was waiting for the bus to go back home, something mildly amusing happened.

I’m standing there on the sidewalk, facing the street, on my phone, so my eyes are kinda pointed toward the ground. There’s a kid with a blue hoodie on, headphones in his ears, also messing on his phone. And in my periphery, and I must have just turned around to look his way at the same time to be able to see this—white droppings fall straight down on him, hitting his hoodie, shorts, sleeve.

He didn’t react immediately, but I turned around and said, “Did that just happen?”

He took a headphone out of his ear, shook his head and said, “Yeah.”

I gave him a napkin.

*Excessive Sadistic Phlogging

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage comments from any and all readers. Please lay your thoughts on me.