Total Pageviews

2013-04-27

Tone

Reading the end of my last post, I'd revise my words and tone to say--it doesn't mean war. It means Megan and I have to become better parents.

So in doing so, we've been reminding Lucy more and more often that the tone she takes should be nicer than demanding, that she shouldn't whine, and that even when she says please she can't yell her question at mama.

Cause she doesn't yell her questions at me. It's really frustrating. She has different behavior for the both mama and I. Actually, that makes sense. It shouldn't be frustrating. I behave differently in front of different people. For her to do it with us is a matter of intelligence, of survival by means of getting along--of socializing.

My Lax Parenting Standards Regarding Television

Lucille and her sister get way more tv than both Megan and I did when we were kids, but also... I don't care. I find a hard time giving two craps whether they have 2hrs per day or more when it's all educational-ish shows like Dora, Diego, Curious George, and basically not what my brother and I watched as kids, which was just... boy-friendly explosion violence stuff in animation like X-Men and ... I wanna say Thunder Lizards?

A big argument for keeping tv time down for toddlers is that it teaches them to not talk--that the tv will just keep talking to them, regardless of whether they respond. Then they lose the instinct to respond when people talk to them. Or.. I dunno, maybe if it doesn't sink in when they're that young, it really has a big effect. Speech stunting.

BB wakes us all up every morning by sitting up in bed and talking to herself. She's talking to Dora right now when she asks her, "Is this the treasure chest?" And BB got it right all three times! "No! ... No. ...yeah!"

One last thing--since we do Netflix for their shows, no commercials. Less bad influence, right? Can we all agree that kids oughtn't watch television advertisements? Further reason to be lazy and let the tv keep them babysat while I jerk off in the bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage comments from any and all readers. Please lay your thoughts on me.