Total Pageviews

2010-07-23

The Rainbow Connection

The song that opens The Muppet Movie is "The Rainbow Connection." It has amazed me. Bittersweet lyrics. Right the hell up my alley, describing oneself as separate from the lovers and dreamers of the world. It's like being stuck in your small hole in the world and what it feels like to be amazed by showbiz and stars and happiness, and to know you can reach it, one day, but you're, for now, just ... stuck. Among many, many other things.
Have you been half asleep, and have you heard voices? I've heard them calling my name. Is this the sweet sound that calls the young sailor? The voice might be one and the same. I've heard it too many times to ignore it; it's something that I'm supposed to be.
Oh, and let's not forget the opening line:
Why are there so many songs about rainbows and what's on the other side?
Genius!

I'd like to do a cover of this song. It's one of the only songs that gets me more for the lyrics than the music. That rarely happens with me. Probably good there's no guitar in there for me to dissect and critique.

Could a metal cover work for that? Maybe. I dunno. Have to learn the chords first. I think maybe a more Steely Dan-ish cover would work better. I'd probably have to make it so that the music was less interesting than the vocals.

And after that, there's "Movin Right Along," and then "Can You Picture That?" ! Those songs both rule too! I've had MRA stuck in my head for like a month now. I even wrote lyrics to a mock-MRA song. Want to read them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage comments from any and all readers. Please lay your thoughts on me.