Total Pageviews

2011-02-14

A City Collegian rebirth campaign

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CITY COLLEGIAN? « THE SCCC STUDENT NEWS

Written by The City Collegian's last faculty adviser, Jeb Wyman, this is the beginning of a campaign to bring back Seattle Central's defunct student newspaper.

I worked on the paper during the time the trouble started, and after I left the school, and the paper, to move onto Western Washington University to further study journalism, it didn't take long for Seattle Central administration to ax the Collegian.

The link above takes you to what I consider to be a masterfully written history of the paper. Wyman has been a writer his whole life, and his experience shows. His words flow like butter. The piece may just get your blood roiling. Student journalism is under attack all over the country, which makes this an issue bigger than the Collegian and Seattle Central.

Wyman is my journalistic mentor, and anything he's behind, I'm behind. He's a good man. With all the other journalism professors and administrators I met at Western, Wyman is the one I like the most. He bleeds ink. I worked with him for my four quarters on the paper, and he never did me wrong. The administration, however, did, when they bludgeoned Jeb into resigning and then axed the paper, citing his resignation as the principle reason.

Can we say administrative political manipulation? As if they couldn't find and hire a new adviser over the slow summer quarter. As if job interviews are not possible during that time. Please.

There's a fire starting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage comments from any and all readers. Please lay your thoughts on me.