Total Pageviews

2011-09-08

IAMSOHAPPYWALKING THRUTHEGLASS

So today ... uh. Gabba Gabba is distracting.

So today Megan is going to set out on her own and strike it rich in California.
GOLD RUSH !!!
No, but seriously, yeah, no, yeah, Megan is being required to join her other co-workers on an overnight business-morale-togetherness-in-employment ... thing.

She'll be in Port Townsend. It's 10:09 right now. She'll be leaving at 12:30, and returning tomorrow at around the same time. What this means for this dad is one blessed 24-hr period of straight child care.

It shouldn't be too hard. I know I can do it. I'll have to stay focused and energetic. I'm least looking forward to waking up at night with BB and giving her a bottle. Putting them down for naps, taking care of them, and just generally being awesome, comes naturally to me.

Usually when Megan comes home from work I can sorta pass BB off to her. I feel a little bad about it, cause she's the one who's been working all day, and then she comes home and has to take care of a baby until bedtime. But I have to remember that my day involves a bit of work too. It doesn't feel so much like work anymore. It's like working at home. But your coworkers (kids) are at home with you. They LIVE with you! Freaky.

The argument that taking care of kids all day is a full-time job isn't exactly accurate. You get to sit down for little bits here and there and watch tv or do whatever. You get breaks. There's no managers or other coworkers to watch out for. No rules to worry about breaking. (maybe that stops when they stop taking naps....)

But I don't exactly live like a mom with a man that doesn't lift a finger to help the kids out after he gets home from work. My partner comes home from work and needs to empty her boobs of precious milk.

Listen to me. The one who stays home with the kids 5 days per week is saying that it's not a full-time job. I guess I'm comparing it to all the jobs I've ever had, where you have to work with your muscles more and stay on task and move fast for 8 hours straight. It's not like taking care of kids, where you need to use your emotional output algorhythms and be gentle, yet firm. It's more like a balancing act, whereas working in the real world (service industry-type jobs anyway) is like punching through a brick wall.

I remember working at Safeway, stocking shelves. There was never an end to the work that needed to be done. Or working at Pies and Pints, where I had to bust my ass and move fast, fast, fast to get all the food out in time. Staying at home with kids is much, much easier. Maybe it's easier for me to use my emotions than my brute force. I dunno. What I'm trying to say is-- uh. Hm.

What am I trying to say. ??

Taking care of kids is indeed a job, but it's very different than a service-industry job. Big revelation.

One thing that makes me feel better about the impending evening: I can play as much metal as I want.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage comments from any and all readers. Please lay your thoughts on me.