Total Pageviews

2011-12-23

Christmas' Intended Effect

Loving Christmas is definitely not metal.
Call me not metal then.

YouTube Xmas Playlist That I'm Listening To Right Now

This year, the Christmas cheer is violently infectious in our house. I've actually, voluntarily, been playing Christmas songs that normally make me grate my teeth. For some reason I'm letting go of my hangups and allowing the full experience of the holiday wash over me. I've even been reading Lucy the story of the first Christmas--Jesus has even made an appearance in our home!

With the kids around, it's become important to mama and I to create the conventional holiday experience in our home. This year is the first we've acquired a real Christmas tree, and it's made the difference in setting the mood. There's nothing like a real pine tree in your living room, decorated with lights, and making little girls excited. It looks quite beautiful, actually. And thanks to my awesome parents, the presents are flowing freely under our tree.

This year has been disappointing in one small way--I'm too poor to get anybody, except my kids, presents. Not like it's very different from years before, but I always feel a little guilty about it. Nobody I know thinks less of me (to my knowledge), but I reserve the right to this guilt. In my heart of hearts I'd love to be Santa Claus.

All in all, I love my family and friends. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone.

Is it weird that every time I hear Carol of the Bells I think, "Ding, dong, mmkay,"?

I'm not putting that question mark inside those quotation marks, Florangela. I refuse. It's MY BLOG, it's MY GRAMMAR.




So this Christmas, I've been given one. Great. Present. None of the presents under our tree are for me, and that doesn't bother me at all, because BASS GUITAR!

OMG it's so fucking awesome. Great sound, great action, you can customize the sound quite a bit with all those knobs (low, mid, high, and overall mix PLUS volume), it's got a metal shape, and it's purple as all hell.

My metal brother / sole band mate kind of hates it. He really wants me to replace it with a black one. It's funny. "Not gonna happen," I told him.

Receiving it was definitely an awesome surprise. A couple mornings ago, Megan texted me, after she walked out the door at 6:50 a.m. for work, with, "There's a huge package for you downstairs." Then, "Yes, that is what she said."

Thinking it was a box of presents from my parents, I let a little time go by, waking up and getting my coffee and dressing and cleaning up the excrement of my daughters.

I think Lucy was down for a nap at about noon, and I carried BB outside to the front porch to retrieve the box.

It was big and rectangular. Hm, I thought, interesting shape for a box of presents. I somehow carry it up the stairs one-handed, BB in the other arm.

I take it to the kitchen. Open it up. There's a smaller box inside with a big "ESP" logo on it.

I'm like, awww sheeeit.

Got it out and proceeded to play bass like a boss. Or a boss learning to play bass. It's really similar to guitar, but it's not the same. Works your hands harder with the thicker strings. Gets that low rumble tone. You gotta be careful playing chords in the low registers.

Finally, I can add bass to my home recordings, and write bass lines to all my songs!

Thanks, parents. A greater present I could not have received.

***

In true Christmas form, I'd like to get all mushy on you now.

One thing I love about this time of year is being reminded, and encouraged to reflect on, how much I love all the people around me, family and friends alike. Not those Facebook weirdos who I haven't seen in a really, really long time, but my real friends, who I come in contact with in my daily life.

Kathy, Craig, and Ian. Colleen. Guy, Laurie, Jared, Savannah, and Tessa. Jenny, Dan, Laurel, Nat, Katie and Matt. Joy, and Brad. Justin. Teal and Todd. Caryn, Jenna and Evan. Virginia. I love you all. You're all very important to me.

Megan, Lucille and Beatrix--my top dawgs. You're stuck with me. You get the best of my love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage comments from any and all readers. Please lay your thoughts on me.