Total Pageviews

2010-08-23

Peace, Boldness, and John Lennon

John Lennon.



Such a bold move, with that simple line, repeated over and over. Peace and love being a bold move. That could only happen in a world where strength is valued over compassion, isn't that right?

I feel that the music is incredibly secondary in importance over the lyrics. It's one of those songs that activists cling to and rally behind, and the impact is incredible, because it's an incredible song, with an incredible message.

Why should that message be incredible?

I feel you're forced to focus on this message in accordance with Lennon's penmanship in authoring, that is to say, with the way he wrote it. Maybe 'forced' is the wrong word. You're Encouraged to to pay attention to the message. I mean, the whole thing is only like three chords and it sounds like only the four bass strings are used on the guitars. So it's hidden below the mix. It's a great method to use to give a strong message. I commend Lennon for the usage of this particular lyrical composition style in order to empower social change.

I started thinking about this song today, out of the blue. How it got in there I dunno, but I do know that it struck me that the only lyrics in the song were, "All we are saying is give peace a chance." It's genius! It's a timeless message. I can't say enough about it, so I'll stop here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage comments from any and all readers. Please lay your thoughts on me.