Total Pageviews

2012-04-17

Flu vs. Us, round 2, FIGHT!

As I was waking up this morning, it was to BB quietly fussing in her crib, but not standing up. I thought to myself that I'd wait her out, see if she was really ready to get up. And she never stood up--back to sleep with her.

It was a good 10 minutes of quiet fussing, and I was vaguely worried something might be wrong. So I got up and checked, and she was fine--laying on her face, knees up against her stomach and making her butt stick up in the air, half on top of her blanket. I fold the back of the blanket onto her back, and go about my day.

Eight o'clock rolled around and I was thinking it was definitely weird, so I woke her up. Made her some eggs and gave her some watered down cranberry juice. 

She had pretty low energy--not her usual yell-y self. But she was still pretty energetic, so after the meal I stuck her in front of a Sesame Street dvd and did a bunch of dishes. I was listening to some Soundgarden on the computer and wasn't hearing a single peep from BB, which made me worried. Checking on her, I found her standing at the small red table,  playing contentedly with a toy piano, watching the show.

Finishing the dishes, I gave BB some attention. I sat with her in front of the tv, where I picked her up, and she did this really weird burp.

I knew right then what would follow, and my mind was yelling at me, "Get up now and get a puke bowl! Go! Go! Go!" But my body was mumbling at me, "It's too hard to get up right now."

The burps continued, getting louder, until a big chunk of the eggs she had eaten slowly emerged from her mouth in a yellow clump with orange bits. The rest followed. Two big heaves, then a third small one. Poor girl. She was standing the whole time, her back to me, my hands on her belly and chest, leaning her forward so the puke would just all go on the carpet.

Flu. AAaaaaahhhhgggggg ... I try to nourish my kids, and it explodes the nourishment out of them. Forget you, flu, you're a jerk. 

My kids both had flu shots just a month ago! It found a way around the shots. I don't want to say they were for nothing, but it seems like the flu shots my kids got were for nothing.

I'm hesitant to say it cause it might have protected them against breaking out in an even worse case of the flu. However, I don't know if the medicine works that way or not.

My Lucy just got over it, and now it's time for round 2, with a baby! Time to start stressing hardcore.

At least I'm keeping the coffee intake really low and I can handle it. I'm in a good mood and my kids are safe with me. So that's good. They've got a roof and two parents who love them and are on the higher end of poor. Could be worse.

BB's sleeping now. Lucy just said to me, after I agreed to turn off All Dogs Go to Heaven and play Blue's Clue's instead, "Thanks for taking care of me!"

I was almost never more complimented in all my life.

Save, of course, for last night. That's right--I received a very high compliment, and from not one person, but from a whole class. Allow me to explain.

I turned this in yesterday for an assignment that was supposed to be a 1-minute story, fictionalized or real.
  
The class erupted with laughter. I mean, I had them rolling. It was awesome. My minute of fame.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage comments from any and all readers. Please lay your thoughts on me.