Total Pageviews

2012-04-15

Normalizing / Ahh, just give it up

This morning Lucy comes into my room, all awake and ready to go, at about 7:20, and says, "I need graham crackers and milk."

And I thought, 'She's finally back to normal.'

The flu was a long-lasting one. And the thing is, Lucy received a flu shot about half a week before she started throwing up.

Whatever. Hopefully she's developed antibodies that will continue to fight it. Seems that will do her more good than the flu shot has.

You know, when she got that shot, she didn't even cry. It was in her shoulder. Did I blog about this yet? I should have. She sat in my lap, and the nurse was quick about it, and then... she was okay.

Before the needle went in, the nurse was getting stuff ready in a cupboard, and I told Lu, "You're gonna get a poke, and it's gonna hurt, okay? But it won't be that bad," or something to that effect. Everybody else had just been calling it "shots" from there on in, which doesn't explain to a 3-year-old what it is.

BB cried when she got hers, but she's only 10 months old! Closer to 11 now. She's getting huge. She has 6 teeth--four or top, two on bottom, all in the middle. No more toothless baby smile.

She's at this really thin dividing line between baby and toddler. I still call her a baby, but she can almost stand up by herself. It's still a ways off, but since she's always pulling herself up on stuff, she's not exactly baby-like anymore, even if she does crawl like a champ.

***

So remember I was talking about anger and stuff? I've given up being angry. You know what else I gave up? Toilet training.

Well, not permanently. But I mean, Lucy was sick, and I'm not about to be a total cockbag and make Lucy sit on the toilet while she's puking and having diarrhea... oh wait that might have been a good idea. Well, anyhow, I gave it up, and Megan did too.

Before the sickness started, we had come up with a new rule--no more of the specific show, "Go Diego Go!" until she poops or pees in the toilet.

She's already seen every episode available on Netflix at least three or four times. She was hooked on it, and Megan and I were getting more than tired of hearing it every day.

So we figured it would be a good way to get Lu to go in the toilet. She cried about it at first, but then the sickness came, and we gave her lots of Diego again. All she could do was sit on the couch and sleep all day. Why not?

I know tv rots your brain, but we don't let her have more than 2 hours any given day, sometimes not more than one.

So now that the sickness is over, you know what she's done? She's switched to Blue's Clues. You know what else? She wants to watch the same episode. Every time.

She'll say, "I can get Diego if I poop or pee in the toilet, dada." And I'll say, "Yep! That's right, Lucy." And she'll go right on with her life.

She has no interest in sitting on the toilet. I don't want the heartbreak. Toilet training, for the time being, is off.

Shit, I should have her sit on that thing tomorrow. I know when she goes, right around 8 a.m. every day... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage comments from any and all readers. Please lay your thoughts on me.