Total Pageviews

2011-07-29

We all like smiling men better

Got up early today. It's my thing now. The last three mornings I've been awakened earlier than I'd prefer for one reason or another, so now I'm just used to it. Played some Fallout 3. Fun. It's my precious three minutes before the kids wake up.

Then I took out the trash and the diapers and compost and did the dishes. Why? I'll tell you why--Nanny 911.

Megan discovered the show, and I've been pretty much loving it too. I've never been so engrossed in reality tv before. I suppose there's a reality show out there for everyone, huh? (It's no 24, though. That stupid shit is seriously engrossing).

Of course I have my reservations about the show. For one, everything that happens within the household is falsified a bit because the families under watch have cameras following them. They're told to act normal, or course, but how can you act normal under those circumstances? I'd totally be doing dances and showing off and stuff and letting my kids fall off the balcony outside if it were me.

Also you can tell the women are more glammed than they'd normally be. I'm sure they don't put makeup on and do their hair every day for their kids. But that may be their own choice, and not the producers'. And there's nothing wrong with that, either. It just takes away from what could be a more realistic scenario.

anywho

Speaking of glammed up, the last episode we watched involved a family named ... something. Anyway, the mother is this smoking hot redhead with a big old thick head of hair that she can apparently make straight or curly at the push of a button. It's the longest, thickest red head I've ever seen. She's pretty, too. And nice. I'm completely in love with her.

And her husband was a total piece of shit! Before the nanny had harsh words with him, anyway. He works part-time as a videographer, looks like a lesser Baldwin brother, and didn't do any chores around the house. Meanwhile his wife cleans up everything every day. All the chores--vacuuming, dishes, etc., while he lays in bed and sits on the couch and encourages his kids' bad behavior by giving them toy swords and guns and such. (I had toy weapons as a kid, though, and I loved them. Hard to draw the line.)

And when he would discipline his four kids, it was always with threats and spankings. No no, dad. I'm guessing he didn't have the happiest childhood. He never smiled until the nanny started laying into him. It was a bit scary, actually. He looked like he had a sort of stranglehold on his wife, who was overworked and trying her damnedest to not piss his easy-to-piss-off ass off and keep the house in order while he did nothing.

The nanny of course identified the problem as being mostly the dad. This fucking guy, married to this beautiful ginger trophy wife, who works her ass off to keep their huge house clean (which is really important when you have kids, for keeping sane alone), totally didn't deserve her.

Or the beautiful house they lived in! How did they afford that thing with one working parent, who works part-time? I smell inheritance or something.

It all made me want to be a better partner to my beautiful redhead trophy girlfriend lady of special interest. I'm not as lazy as that guy, sure, but there's always room for improvement. So I did chores today. And I walked with her to the doctor today and we took the kids with us. It's been a good day so far. And booty. Precious booty. Oh shit it's been a hella good day.

Sometimes life hands you a shit sandwich, and for the past month I'd been feeling down. Megan and I had a new baby (which is a good thing--just makes for more busy daily life), our fridge broke, I was depressed about losing my job, we couldn't have sex because her IUD was misbehaving, money is tight, and my ... I have to poop all the time!!!!

Now most of those things are taken care of and life feels a touch more normal. But it wasn't outside factors that lead to me this conclusion--it was Nanny 911.

What I'm trying to say, I think, is that it takes a certain kind of jolt to really change one's perspective. Seeing a family in dire straits, and studying the root of said straits, caused me to examine my own life and behavior. I don't want to be anything like that piece of shit unappreciative dad. It's not okay for a dad to be angry, or a lazy piece of white male trash with gel in the hair all the time who never smiles.

Women like smiling men. I like smiling men. Men should be encouraged to smile more and stop acting so tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage comments from any and all readers. Please lay your thoughts on me.