Total Pageviews

2012-01-07

To the dishes! : Kid Summary, Long-Form Windbagging

I've got so much to say about my daughters and so little time to say it. Let me just categorize my thoughts here:

Lucille: Getting smart, calling mama and I out, feeling complex emotions, understanding most everything I say (though she can't articulate reciprocally).

BB: Crawling.

Well, jeez, when I say it like that, it seems my work is done. Which is good, I've gotta get off the toilet to wash the dishes and go to school at noon to study in the library when it opens.

The readings for this Blogging class I'm wait-listed for are more challenging than I thought they'd be. Obviously, they're long passages, but they're also written really well. Like, scholarly-well. Complicated. Big words, long sentences, high ideals.

Last night, I read the first passage in about two hours, at home at the kitchen table. Sitting still and reading is something that's always been difficult for me to start, but relatively easy to maintain. I've been pining for the opportunity to be able to do it ever since I had my first kid, but now that I not only have the chance to, but am required to, I'm remembering how hard it is.

Here's a link to the passage. It's a Wordpress blog page. One of three passages I have to read by Monday. It covers much ground on the idea of blogging as a genre, of genre itself, and what purposes a blog serves. There's lots of mention of kairos, and rhetoric. On a few occasions, while reading, it all seemed like so much pontificating out of thin air. Sort of like having to filling out a word count requirement as an assignment, when there's nothing relevant left to say. Then it occurred to me that it all is relevant, I should care because it's about blogs, therefore it's modern, it's obviously well-researched, and the only reason I'm starting to call bullshit is my brain is tired and I don't wanna anymore.

The last time I had readings this challenging was in my International Relations class at Western. Oh, man, but was that stuff dry. SO DRY. Politics. Long-form analysis. Way over my head. It was a struggle to pass that class, but pass it I did.

I'd better fucking get into this blogging class. For one thing, I deserve to, and for another, it's really gonna aid my understanding of the genre in ways I hadn't imagined and couldn't expect. That's what school is for, isn't it... huh.

To the dishes! Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage comments from any and all readers. Please lay your thoughts on me.