Total Pageviews

2010-12-26

Holidays and the work they entail

The most aggravating Christmas ever

Yep. For parents, the holiday season generally means that, in addition to the regular routine you've got going, you've got to do extra work, too.

Do you want to have good food on Christmas Eve, as well as Christmas? Have fun with the dishes. And the shopping among all the other people who don't want to be shopping, either, but they are, cause it's Christmas and that's what you do during Christmas. You shop among a three- or four-fold increase in the usual amount of human bodies within... any given store, anywhere. The employees are extra stressed and want to help you even less, by the way.

Yesterday I got to sleep in a little bit, but when I woke up, it was like, "Good morning, get to work." I had to start laundry, and wrap the rest of Lucy's presents cause we were too tired to do it the night before. All of this before I could have coffee. I was in a bad mood, which was putting Megan on edge.

Then the motherfucking goddam cocksucking stupid fuck washing maching fucking broke. With our clothes submerged in a full tank of cold water. On Christmas. Give me a fucking break. I've never had a more frustrating Christmas morning in my life. It's bad enough I've got to do laundry on Christmas, but then the fucking thing breaks? Goddam I'm still annoyed about it.

After Megan hand wrung those clothes out, I made some motions to start doing dishes, and Megan took Lucy for a walk. I resumed my chore, feeling bad how angry I was, and yet still angry. I didn't have time to stop and decompress. There was too much work to do. Anger. What a killer it is. My ladies gone and there I was, alone, with the dishes, my sorrow, and my anger. Then a glass broke in my hand and cut me. It was time to abandon dishes and vacuum.

Something about vacuuming on Christmas struck me as weird. At first, I was vacuuming, thinking how ridiculous it is to be vacuuming on Christmas. It's a day for being lazy and opening presents and stuff! Letting people do it all for me, like when I lived with my parents for so many years. Not this year.

This year, I was responsible for the doing of stuff for others. Namely, my little cute family. God, I love my girls. When I realized this, I was proud of myself for making the place all clean and smelling better on Christmas, for Megan and Lucy to enjoy and make their Xmas that much better. It's good to put in work for your family.

After my ladies got back I apologized to Megan for being such a bitch, which relieved her immensely. She later told me that, during the walk, she was in a bad mood the whole time cause I was crabby, and she got a bunch of gifts she didn't want, including old candles.

Of course, it's not all bad during the holiday season, but I'm really done with it at this point. It seems like there were more irritating moments than pleasant ones. However, Megan did get me exactly what I wanted for Christmas (Fallout: New Vegas), plus some (Metalocalypse ssn's 1 & 3, rounding out my collection). Awesome!

Lucy would fuss and complain when we tried to get her to open presents. The first two gifts she made it through okay, but by the end of it she was balling. It was sort of baffling, cause we were opening three seasons of The Muppet Show for her, and she likes Muppets. I dunno. At that point, it was the second round of opening presents, which we had to hurry through, so we could leave the house to go to T.J's.

This Xmas, Megan must have had a sign on her that said, "Get me useless stuff I don't want." It appears it's completely on my shoulders to get her anything that will actually make her happy. It's surprising that more of our relatives don't try to talk to her and ask her what she wants. They'd just rather guess, and since Megan's a very particular person, most of those guesses end up being bad ones.

Christmas came, and went. Goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage comments from any and all readers. Please lay your thoughts on me.