Total Pageviews

2010-11-21

Complaining about raising kids

Who deserves the privilege?

I don't wanna be a dick about it or anything, but new parents who grew up in lives of privilege, & who also complain on Facebook about needing a vacation, can really irk me. Aww, is poor wittw Snookums, who had his or her way thru college paid by mommy and daddy, now realizing how difficult it is to raise kids?

Taking it an irritating step further, I argue they're not actually having a hard time. If you're a parent who's confused about whether or not you deserve to complain, here's a handy list of queries to help you decide whether it's acceptable to complain about how hard your life is:

1. Do you own a nice house, especially one with extra rooms, that isn't in danger of foreclosure?
2. Do you or your partner have a job that makes you at least upper-middle-class money?
3. Do you hire a nanny or house cleaner?
4. Do you employ a private Sushi or Barbecue Chef?

If you answered yes to any of those questions, folks, don't complain on Facebook about having it rough.

When I read, "I so/really/desperately need a vacation," my blood begins to boil a little bit. I have no plans for a vacation (except for one night at a relative's house for Xgiving, which I'm looking forward to), no dates with friends arranged, another child on the way, and no end in sight to the childcare responsibilities.

However, I do have a partner that makes adequate money, I have time to type with Lucy running around in the morning, and I live pretty comfortably. I even enjoy my part-time cooking job, cause the place I work is so awesome. So I try not to complain either. I do, though. Sometimes. Not that you've ever read here.

Okay, I'll throw you Richie Riches a bone: kids always find ways to make their parents pull their hair out. But all it takes is peace of mind, and a work ethic, to deal with it adequately--not money.

To those who can't always pay their bills, and don't have partners to help raise the kids, my heart goes out to you. That's gotta be tough.

1 comment:

  1. I guess I'm not really understanding the correlation between wanting a vacation and living comfortably. I suppose if somebody said, "Man the nanny called in sick today and I so need a vacation after the last 4 hours" then I would be a little annoyed. However, a vacation is time away from the daily grind and most people I know take their kids along with them. By the way, I am dedicating my next fb status to you!

    ReplyDelete

I encourage comments from any and all readers. Please lay your thoughts on me.